Tuesday 12 July 2011

To the East.

A couple of weeks ago, on the Feast of S. Peter and S. Paul, a couple of friends and I attended a Divine Liturgy in the Ukrainian Catholic parish in town.  For a goodly long time, we were the only people in this rather massive sanctuary, then just us and the priest... a good few minutes after the appointed hour did our fellow congregants begin to arrive, perhaps no more than 20 in all.

I thought all Eastern liturgies consisted of clouds of incense, ringing of bells and babushkas telling you to stand up straighter... sadly none of these were present.  The strange mixture of English and Ukrainian made it a bit difficult but by the end of the service, I was able to follow along... and I even crossed myself correctly!

I took a picture of the beautiful cupola, and gave me various thoughts for my own parishes rather barren one.


A glorious space!

No comments:

Post a Comment